- Major mental disorders cost the nation at least $193 billion annually in lost earnings alone, according to a study funded by the National Institute of Health (May 2008).
- In 2008, the annual healthcare cost of obesity in the United States was estimated to be as high as $147 billion a year. Medical expenses for obese employees are estimated to be 42% higher than for a person with a healthy weight.
- Employees who use tobacco cost their employees $1,300 more per year than those who don’t use tobacco.
- People with diagnosed diabetes have medical expenditures that are 2.3 times higher than medical expenditures for people without diabetes.
Source: National Institute of Mental Health and Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Potential Benefits of A Wellness Program:
- Improve productivity
- Improve physical health of employee
- Boost morale
- Control healthcare costs (drug, disability, absenteeism)